Who we are
Sagentia Innovation provides independent advisory and leading-edge product development services focused on science and technology initiatives. Working across the medical, industrial, chemicals and energy, food and beverage, and consumer sectors, Sagentia Innovation works with a broad range of companies from some of the world’s leading and best-known brands, to start-up disruptors, new to the market. It is part of Science Group (AIM:SAG), which has more than ten offices globally, two UK-based dedicated R&D innovation centres and more than 400 employees. Other Science Group companies include Leatherhead Food Research, TSG Consulting and Frontier Smart Technologies.
The business operates fees-for-service projects ranging in scale from £10k to £10m and collaborative client relationships lasting many years. Clients work with us because our strength in innovation, our insights and our speed.
Recent examples of our R&D Consultancy work:
• Define new evidence-based propositions founded on novel biomarkers for measurement and personalization
• The impact of synthetic biology on the food industry - a position paper
• The future of Salmonella: technologies, policies, and business impact
• In vitro organoid models – landscape and challenges
• Identify opportunity for line extension off existing Rx medicine brands
• Technical due diligence of an immunoassay-based point of care platform
• Proof-of-principle demonstration of low-cost molecular diagnostic platform for use in pharmacies
• Assessment of CRISPR platforms for at home diagnostics
• Improving usability of extremely low-cost TB assay for emerging markets
• Measuring cell density and viability for cell therapy production
• Improving DNA extraction from formalin fixed tissue samples
• Translating PCR tools from the life science laboratory to the diagnostic oncology lab
We are looking for a commercial-savvy and scientifically capable individual to facilitate the growth of our Life Science ‘Practice’ within the R&D Consultancy Division. Reporting into the Head of Advisory, you will be accountable for expanding our Life Sciences portfolio across the Division’s four industry segments and for developing the life sciences skill group that will enable the delivery of these assignments.
The Life Sciences Practice is a key part of the Division’s growth strategy. As Director you will:
• Set the R&D Division’s Life Sciences market agenda and strategy
• Collaborate with the Managing Partners for each of our four industry segments and with the SVP for New Business to plan and action a sales and marketing strategy for Life Sciences
• Partner with our Marketing team to grow the visibility of our Life Sciences capability
• Work with the Operations Directors to guide the growth and developments of the Life Sciences capability (both for Advisory and Product Development)
• Develop and deliver pitches to existing and new customers across the Division’s four industry segments
• Supervise and direct team members as they work with clients to frame engagements
• Operate as a Consultant on assignments requiring high value input
The Division already has a strong platform in Life Sciences and with a wide portfolio of key account relationships and proven services spanning advisory and product development we have a great opportunity to grow in this space. Life Sciences is central to the Division’s growth plan and this role has been created to capitalize on the opportunity.
You will have the opportunity to travel overseas (once COVID restrictions ease) to visit our clients; it is expected that you will be travelling 25 – 50% of your time (UK, Continental Europe and US).
The role will be based either in our central London office or in our Harston (Cambridge) or Epsom R&D centre.
Sales and Marketing
• Support Life Science sales activities to existing and new business accounts (this will be a pro-active role with the successful candidate initiating customer engagements as well as being ready to follow-up introductions
• Promote Life Sciences services to new business targets in order to win new customer accounts. The role will involve a mix of targeted lead generation (in collaboration with the New Business team) and client face-to-face meetings
• Attend and present at industry/sector meetings, webinars and conferences
• Listen to the needs of our clients and translate these into appropriate programmes of work (in consultation with the Consumer team, skill group managers and consultants)
• Understand and manage the cost of selling and delivering work and allocate resource appropriately
Leadership and Line Management
• Agenda setting and alignment with peers running industry sector verticals and business development functions
• Ownership of key performance indicators (principally sales contribution and life science skill group utilization) relating to the Life Sciences practice
• Line management of a commercial team each of whom have significant accountability to deliver life sciences projects
• Operating as a Consultant with time spent working directly on sold projects, delivering high value insights, strengthening our client relationships and having oversight of the project team
• Act with senior managers cascading company messages, policies and behaviors
Service Offering Ownership
• Inspire and promote our strengths as a provider of R&D services in the fields of Life Sciences and/or application of life sciences technology.
• Reflect on and revise service offerings as markets and customer’s needs change
• Identify market opportunities where internal IP development could create new service offerings/business models
• Pilot the roll out of new Advisory service lines
Experience & qualifications
• An understanding of R&D strategy & execution in blue-chip businesses
• Experience of working in the Life Science companies and/or consulting to this sector
• Experience in a consulting environment
• Customer-facing and selling experience in relationships valued >£1m per year
• Evidence of energy and drive
• Science postgraduate degree qualification in Life Sciences relevant discipline
We are committed to career development and make a focused effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow each individual to thrive within their environment and realise personal potential.
We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package.