We are looking for an exceptional, hands-on Industrial product design consultant to join our world class team of product developers and R&D strategists, to take a principal role in directing design, to create impactful digital and physical product experiences for the medical, industrial and consumer markets.
You will have the opportunity to work with the with a broad range of companies from some of the world’s leading and best-known brands, to start-up disruptors new to the market. You will be working on real, varied projects and exploring how technology and innovation can exceed our clients’ often demanding requirements and tight development timescales. You will work across the product development lifecycle, taking concepts from initial briefing with a client, through a series of design phases, often all the way to production. This will include:
• Needs identification and qualification through primary and secondary research to inform creative concept generation utilising design-thinking methodologies.
• Creation of elegant product and service architectures validated with end users through formative studies.
• Detailed development of GUI and A-surface design ensuring design integrity is retained into mass production.
• A multitude of exciting projects for you to manage and lead the design direction for, in a range of market sectors.
• Energetic and experienced applied science, engineering and embedded software teams to help realise your physical device and digital service creations from inception to detail design.
• An extensive advisory team delivering strategic visions and roadmaps requiring product and service visualisation.
You will have:
• A Degree (2.1 or above), in a product/industrial design or relevant engineering discipline with 8+ years industry experience
• Evidence of developing in market products and platforms, ideally gained within a consultancy or commercial environment
• Exceptional graphical skills spanning the exploration of product forms and GUI’s through sketching and mockups across to detailed product design
• CAD design experience including advanced surfacing and visualization/rendering
• Experience in Adobe suite tools such as Ps, Ai, Xd
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills - confident and capable in a client facing role
You might also have (but not essential):
• Appreciation of Human factors engineering and potentially the formal processes required in medical product development
• Knowledge of design for manufacture, manufacture process.
A Day in the life
Projects range in length anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years. These multidisciplinary projects will allow you collaborate with inspiring teams with a broad range of skills sets and expertise, including design, engineering, software and applied science. Taking a design from first concept all the way to production requires your keen eye for detail, excellent organisation and time management. You will enjoy a variety of tasks such as front-end concept generation activities as well as the later development activities of detailed CAD design and prototype building. Alongside this, as a consultant, you’ll contribute to project planning, proposal writing, client pitches and presentation of your design outputs.
Your work will predominately be based at our Sagentia Innovation offices in Harston, Cambridge. There may also be opportunities to travel to client sites in Europe or USA.
We offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow you to thrive within our environment and fully realise your personal potential. You will have the opportunity to develop:
• Practices employed for formal usability design in medical device development working alongside our Medical device usability lead.
• Project management for interesting electromechanical products and digital services
• Business development expertise by providing pre-sales input and assistance, interfacing directly with clients under the guidance of our business development team.
You will be offered a competitive salary and benefits package.