Who we are
Sagentia Innovation’s Consumer Division works with global, leading companies in the Consumer Health, Personal Care & Beauty, Homecare and Consumer Electronics sectors to deliver radical new technology and product programmes and innovations. We apply multidisciplinary teams to define and prioritise technology programmes, explore the fundamental scientific principles involved, and prove our ideas will work in the real world through customer engagement exercises and advanced laboratory experimentation and prototypes. Ultimately, we are looking to maximise the value of our clients’ investment in technology and innovation, leverage our ability to solve techno-commercial challenges and turn our ideas into great products that will delight our clients’ customers.
Applied Science is at the core of much of our work, and our team of chemists and materials scientist is expanding rapidly. We are carrying out analytical chemistry, materials science and product formulation projects for our clients as they address critical innovation challenges in areas such as personalisation, sustainability and new consumer experiences. Examples of recent work include:
• Developing proof-of-principal formulations for three different approaches to achieving new functionality for a high-volume consumer product
• Analysis and recommendation of technology to stabilise a formulation while enhancing its sustainability credentials
• Building strategies to implement sustainable packaging solutions and adding ‘shelf-pop’ by applying radically new materials and design principles
• Formulation and development of primary packaging for consumer product trials of a new consumer experience
• Leveraging sensorial, physical and ingredient attributes to deliver breakthrough formulation designs in clean label
Our parent company, Science Group plc, has a global reach with a multinational workforce spanning the U.K., Europe and North America. We look for exceptional hands-on employees that will flourish in a dynamic and stimulating environment.
This is a commercial/technical role for an ambitious chemist or materials scientist, with a strong track record in FMCG innovation, who would like to build a stream of exciting multi-disciplinary projects with formulation and materials science at their core. Reporting into the Managing Partner of Sagentia Innovation’s Consumer Division, this is a rare opportunity for someone to apply their deep technical and market knowledge to work with current and prospective clients across our sales and delivery process.
The role has three parts:
1. Manage and grow our business, taking responsibility for one or more Strategic Accounts and supporting our new business team on opportunities relevant to your skills and experience.
2. Contributing directly to our highest priority projects to ensure we delight our clients and take our relationship with them to the next level.
3. Contribute your technical and domain expertise to our marketing activities to build our thought leadership position in this area.
You will have the opportunity to travel overseas to visit and work with our clients; post-COVID it is expected that you will be travelling 20% of your time (US and Europe).
Strategic Accounts and New Business
• Take responsibility for maintaining and growing the business relationship with selected Strategic Accounts; with routine visits to clients in order to sustain and build key relationships and to increase understanding of client business strategy and needs.
• Centre on new opportunity activities, introducing the company’s services, presenting portfolio reviews, leveraging existing and new contacts to identify new project opportunities, discussing and responding to new project briefs.
• Listen to the needs of our client and translate these into appropriate programs of work (in consultation with the skill group managers and consultants). Though not directly involved in every project, you will stay in touch with the consultants running these projects and participate in key interim and final delivery meetings and post-project reviews.
• Support the new business team in the promotion of services to new business targets in order to win new customer accounts.
Consulting & Marketing
• Act as a Principal Consultant on higher-value projects of strategic importance or where your technical expertise is particularly relevant, working in an integrated way with both the applied science team and the wider multi-disciplinary team.
• Assist in developing and delivering our marketing collateral, leveraging industry experience and expertise and contributing to the thought leadership for the sector.
• Attend industry/sector meetings and conferences and draw support from the Sagentia Innovation marketing team
Experience & Qualifications
• Strong track record of innovation in FMCG / CPG formulated product development
• Excellent core technical experience
• Experience in a commercially focussed role in an innovation or product management team
• Experience in a consulting environment preferred but not essential
• Evidence of enthusiasm for thought leadership and pushing the boundaries of innovation in your area
• A technical degree qualification in science or engineering is essential, and to Masters/PhD level is preferred
We are committed to career development and make a focused effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow each individual to thrive within their environment and realise personal potential.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.