Who we are
Sagentia Innovation’s Food and Beverage Division works with global, leading companies in the Foods, Snacks, Alcoholic and Soft Beverages sectors to deliver radical new technology and product programmes and innovations. We apply multidisciplinary teams to define and prioritise technology programmes, explore the fundamental scientific principles involved, and prove our ideas will work in the real world through customer engagement exercises and advanced laboratory experimentation / product prototypes. Ultimately, we are looking to maximise the value of our clients’ investment in technology and innovation, leverage our ability to solve techno-commercial challenges and turn our ideas into great products that will delight our clients’ customers.
We are seen as one of the foremost ‘one-stop provider’ technology consultancies for the Food and Beverage sector helping our clients to understand and address the grand challenges in their industries. Recent projects have included:
- Building strategies to implement sustainable packaging solutions and adding ‘shelf-pop’ by applying radically new materials and design principles
- Defining ecosystems required to deliver on breakthrough innovation e.g. supply chain validation, partner identification
- Characterising technology unlocks in food and beverage processing & equipment e.g. titratable acidity monitoring, controlling crystallisation & beverage carbonation.
- Leveraging sensorial, physical and ingredient attributes to deliver breakthrough formulation designs in clean label
Our parent company, Science Group plc, has a global reach with a multinational workforce spanning the U.K., Europe and North America. We look for exceptional hands-on employees that will flourish in a dynamic and stimulating environment.
We are looking for a commercially experienced individual with a working knowledge of innovation, technology management and product development for the Food and Beverage sectors. Reporting into the Managing Partner of Sagentia Innovation’s Food and Beverage Division, this is a rare opportunity for someone to apply their deep technical and market knowledge to work with current and prospective clients across our sales process.
The role has three parts:
- Manage and grow our business with a portfolio of Strategic Accounts (40%)
- Instigate and initiate relationships with new business accounts (40%)
- Engage with commercial and delivery teams – contribute your technical and domain expertise to our marketing activities as well as directly to our highest priority projects to ensure we delight our clients and take our relationship with them to the next level (20%)
To be successful in this role you will build upon your innovation, product development and program management background to engage, drive and grow client relationships. You will provide input to the division’s strategy and will ultimately be responsible for profitable sales and successful project delivery within nominated accounts and market-focused campaigns.
You will have the opportunity to travel overseas to visit and work with our clients; post-COVID it is expected that you will be travelling 25% of your time (US and Europe).
- Take responsibility for maintaining and growing the business relationship with selected Strategic Accounts; this will encompass both remote and field work with routine visits to clients in order to sustain key relationships and to increase customer penetration
- Centre on new business creation activities, introducing the company’s services, presenting portfolio reviews, leveraging existing and new contacts to identify new project opportunities, discussing and responding to new project briefs.
- Listen to the needs of our client and translate these into appropriate programs of work (in consultation with the Food and Beverage team, skill group managers and consultants). Though not directly involved in every project, the individual in the role will stay in touch with the consultants running these projects and as and when appropriate participate in key interim and final delivery meetings and post-project reviews.
- Promote services to new business targets in order to win new customer accounts. The role will involve a mix of targeted lead generation and client face-to-face meetings and can leverage wider sales resources within the team/ group.
- Attend industry/sector meetings and conferences and draw support from the Sagentia Innovation marketing team
- Pitch the business and handle RFPs through to proposal stage. Once the business has been won they will then nurture these new accounts, and potentially contribute their technical expertise to the project (see consulting below) to secure and grow future business streams.
Marketing & Consulting
- Assist in developing and delivering our marketing collateral, leveraging industry experience and expertise
- The role will have a 10% utilisation target. This will focus on higher-value projects of strategic importance.
Experience & Qualifications
- A good understanding of the Food and Beverage sector
- Customer-facing experience in either a project management or business development role
- Evidence of success in building a rapport and trust in customers
- Experience in technology/ new product programmes, marketing and/or product development
- Experience in a consulting environment preferred but not essential
- Technical degree qualifications in engineering, process science or food science to Masters/PhD level is strongly preferred but not essential
We are committed to career development and make a focused effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow each individual to thrive within their environment and realise personal potential.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.