SENSOPAD™ - novel, low cost, inductive position sensors
Development and patent of inductive sensor technology for a lower cost and faster response.
Our client asked:
Can a low-cost, accurate and rugged, non-contact position sensing technology be created for the demanding industrial and automotive markets?
The project story:
• Sagentia Innovation has a track record of developing novel robust sensors and delivering them into various markets.
• The first-generation of Sagentia Innovation’s inductive sensor technology was developed in the mid-1990s; this was successfully deployed in toys and other consumer applications such as pen input devices.
• In the 2000’s, electronics technology had advanced, enabling Sagentia Innovation to further develop and patent a second generation of inductive sensor technology, which was lower cost and had a much faster response.
• A spin-out company (Sensopad Technologies Limited) was formed to exploit this second generation technology, which was called Sensopad™.
• The exclusive automotive rights to the Sensopad™ technology were bought by TT Electronics (now owned by Kyocera-AVX), who market the product as their Autopad™ range and an example is shown on the right.
• Several other licenses were agreed to exploit the technology in non-automotive markets.
• Sensopad™ ASICs were developed, initially for automotive products, but subsequently used in several other markets.
Results: deliverables and outcomes
• TT Electronics achieved £100M of orders for their Autopad™ sensors displacing Hall-effect sensors in cars.
• The robust technology continues to meet clients’ needs in many other applications, for example it allows non-contact sensing of valve & piston position and it enables precise dosing systems.
• Sagentia Innovation continues to lead the development of inductive position sensing systems, with the third generation (InTrack and MuTrack) enabling higher accuracy and through-metal sensing.
Our consultants, scientists and engineers redefine what’s possible and help R&D groups across the medical, industrial, consumer and food and beverage sectors achieve commercial return from their opportunities.
We have completed over 10,000 projects for start-ups and global market leaders alike, from understanding the market & technology landscape through to developing and delivering complex products.