FoodDrinkEurope: Reformulation and innovation guide
Our client asked:
FoodDrinkEurope asked Sagentia Innovation to leverage its expertise and track record in product development to produce a guide that outlines key practical tools for small and medium enterprises (SME) of food and beverage manufacturers to facilitate product innovation and reformulation for a wide range of products.
The project story:
Using a combination of our understanding of the processes that require consideration when reformulating or developing a new product and the needs of FoodDrinkEurope’s membership, we produced a guidance document that outlines:
- Drivers and motivation for product innovation and reformulation
- Factors that govern ingredient selection, such as functionality and compatibility, ingredient supply chain, and sustainability
- Production process considerations, such as production methods, sustainability metrics and quality control
- Regulatory considerations, product safety and shelf-life considerations
- Key steps in the formulation development and testing processes, including sensory and consumer testing
- Highlight aspects of products using real-world examples undertaken by SMEs in the food and beverage space
Results: deliverables and outcomes
Sagentia Innovation produced a comprehensive, 12-page guide outlining the aspects of product innovation and reformulation that may need to be considered when undertaking reformulation work for the 70+ food and beverage industry members across EU.