Are you an enthusiastic, experienced Product Developer that thrives on applying your skills to the design of diverse products across a range of market sectors? Can you mentor and lead a team of product developers in the delivery of solutions for our clients? Sagentia Innovation, a division of Science Group plc, is expanding its mechanical engineering team to support our continued growth in delivering world leading product design expertise to our clients.
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on and enthusiastic engineer to join our group of world class employees. If successful you will have the unique opportunity to work with clients from start-ups through to global market leaders. You will have a passion for technology and will use a combination of innovation, creativity and technical excellence to meet and exceed our customers’ expectations. You will work across the product development lifecycle, from new concept generation and technology validation, detailed engineering design, prototyping and transfer to manufacture.
A Day in the life
You will have the opportunity to employ your product development skills on one or more projects simultaneously across sectors. Our projects range in length from a few months through to a few years. Many of our projects require a multidisciplinary approach involving our electronics, software and applied science teams and of course the mechanical and product design team that you will be part of. This role has a focus on the creation and delivery of new product designs to our clients.
At your level of experience, we will also expect you to technically lead and mentor your fellow mechanical engineers and interact directly with clients through regular external project update meetings.
You will have the opportunity to develop
• Your experience of managing projects or work packages to tight timescales throughout the full product development life cycle
• Team leadership skills, involving guiding and planning project team members’ activities
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills - confidence and capability in a client facing role
• Business development expertise by providing pre-sales input and assistance, interfacing directly with clients under the guidance of our business development team
Your work will predominately be based at our Sagentia offices in Harston, Cambridge and there may also be opportunities to travel to client sites in Europe or USA. You will enjoy a fast-paced environment in which we solve a variety of problems from different industries.
• A multitude of exciting projects in the medical, industrial, consumer and food & beverage sectors
• An energetic and widely experienced mechanical engineering and product design team
You will have:
• A Degree (2.1 or above), in a relevant engineering discipline
• At least 8 years of experience in product development
• Project management and experience in delivering complex electromechanical products
• An ability to technically manage peers to deliver the full product developments lifecycle
• Mechanical design experience to include the development of new products
• Enthusiasm to work within multidisciplinary teams and multi-task across projects
You might also have (but not essential):
• CAD design experience (preferably with SolidWorks and/or CREO)
• Analytical skills ranging from tolerance analysis to employing tools such as FEA and Multiphysics modeling (COMSOL), through to first principles engineering calculations, potentially using tools such as MATLAB and MATHCAD
• Mechatronic design experience
• Experience of design for manufacture and assembly
You will have bespoke training and mentoring to allow you to thrive within our environment and fully realise your personal potential.
You will be offered a competitive salary and benefits package.